Soufriere Branch Library

New Development,
Saint Lucia

Catherine Prospere






Brief History

The Soufriere Branch Library in its early days was run by a community committee and financed by members’ subscription fees. It was first located on the southeast side of the town square, now the site of the Monrose Commercial Building. It was briefly moved to where Marcella’s Boutique is at present, and then back to its first site. Early staff members included Tillia Raveneau, Jones Mondesir (1936 – 1940), and Humilta La Porte (1941-1980). At a later date, a library committee with Chairman Maxius Joseph and secretary Denise Denis, was formed. Subsequent librarians included Marcelline Jackson and Antonia Ernest. The Soufriere Branch Library was officially opened on December 04, 1983, in its present location in New Development. The current staff encompasses Catherine Prospere (Head Librarian) and Stevia St Jean (Library Assistant).