About Us

The history of the Central Library of Saint Lucia dates back to 1888, when the first attempt to establish a library service was made. It was opened in 1924 under the funding of Carnegie Trust and the Castries Town Board.

Under the Eastern Caribbean Library Scheme in 1941, the library reorganized its services. The goals were as follows:
The provision of a free library service
The maintenance of approved library standards
Rural extension to provide library facilities for the whole island
A children's service

Thus free libraries were organized in Castries and Soufriere and they soon spread to the other rural areas like Vieux Fort, Dennery, Gros Islet, Choiseul, Micoud and Laborie.
​After the 1948 fire destroyed its contents it was reopened in 1950 as a free public library, and named the Central Library of Saint Lucia. With assistance of a Colonial Development and Welfare Grant the library was rebuilt in 1958. it provided on the first floor, Adult Lending and Reference Departments and Librarian's Office. On the ground floor were the Reading Room, the Children's Room, the Bindery and a Staff room.
In 1979 the building was further extended to provide the present Adult Reading and Lending Library, with assistance from World Development, CIDA and the Manitoba Association.
The Saint Lucia Public Library The Central Library falls under the portfolio of the Ministry of Education, Human Resource,Development and Labour and is the headquarters of the public library system in Saint Lucia. The Library Service Department is made up of the Central Library as its headquarters and 16 branch libraries located in the main towns and villages around the island and a mobile library service.


Services Offered
Information and Reading Services
Vacation Programmes for Children
Rental of Library Space for meetings/Lectures/Exhibitions
Training sessions in Library Skills
Organization of small libraries
Internet and wifi services
Photocopying Services